Skip to main content

A RECENT ENCOUNTER


 

LT COL NOEL ELLIS

 

15/X/2024

 

The weather has cooled down considerably here. The humidity has reduced too. Plants are feeling the much-needed relief and so are we.

 

In the last couple of days, I encountered many insects. One was a brightly coloured Dragonfly. This guy was hovering over our water lilies on the rooftop garden.

 

The second insect was Mr Locust. This time it appeared that all its legs were intact. He was twiddling his whiskers sitting on our Papaya tree. This guy was huge, a giant if I may say so. My pointer finger was smaller.

 

Mr Locust was not shy at all. He allowed me to click photos from different angles. At times it moved around the stem of the leaf, to keep hiding as I twisted it to click some pics of him.

 

“Where did you come from”? I asked, getting into a conversation with Mr L. “Don’t ask, I had a narrow escape or I would have been breakfast for Mr Shikara”, he quipped. “Is he around, " Mr Locust asked me, a little scared?"

 

“Very much, I keep meeting Mr Shikra off and on”. As we were conversing, I noticed a portion of his front leg was missing. I expressed my bewilderment to him. “How it is that I always meet a locust or a grasshopper without a leg or a missing portion of a leg. Is all well”?

 

“Well,”, said Mr Locust. “Let me tell you the story”. “I was born across the road in the lawn opposite your house. We were hundreds of brothers and sisters. Most of them have perished or flown away. I couldn’t fly that well, so I stayed back”. “I see, then….”

 

I kept feeding and growing. My body grew bigger than my wings. I could only fly for short distances, just good enough to avoid getting caught by a bird. Even rats and chuchundar eat us. With the size I have reached now, it is impossible to fly. I can only crawl or take short leaps with the help of my hind legs”.

 

“How did you lose that part of your front leg”? I asked. “I was lucky,” he said. “I saw your beautiful garden and made up my mind to come over”. “That’s compliment”, I chuckled.

 

“I was crossing the road when a crow spotted me. He came and sat next to me. I was too scared as I was exposed, so I played dead. A few vehicles passed over me, almost running me over. A milkman missed me by a whisker. Then a small child came riding on her bicycle. The supporting wheel ran over my leg. It hurt badly and I knew it had broken”. “Go on”, I said…..

 

“That is when I spotted you taking photos of something on the Moringa tree next door”. “From nowhere Mr Shikra appeared and dived at me”. “In one swoop he picked me up and I said my last prayers”. “The broken portion of my leg got detached as the shikra had not got a very firm grip on me.

 

“Because my leg got severed, I fell on this papaya tree”. “The leg has healed and doesn’t hurt much and I feel safe in the shade of the big papaya leaves. Unless a bird flies low and spots me, I stay camouflaged and safe”. I wished Mr L good luck. “What next”? I asked.

 

“Will you let me stay here”, he requested? “Most definitely, enjoy your stay, but I shall be photographing you off and on”. “That is not a problem at all”, he accepted my request.

 

“Take care then, hope to meet you everyday”. “Don’t eat the papaya flowers, please”. “Not at all, he promised, I eat insects that come to pollinate them, that too once in a while”.

 

Today, I didn’t find him. Has the Shikra found Mr L? I wonder!!!!!!

 

šŸ‡®šŸ‡³ JAI HIND šŸ‡®šŸ‡³

©® NOEL ELLIS






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOCUST WITHOUT A “L”

  LOCUST WITHOUT A “L”   LT COL NOEL ELLIS   14/IX/2024   They say if you wish for something with a noble heart, it gets fulfilled. Had I asked for the moon, I would have got it today. Was it a coincidence? I am not sure. To find out please read on.   A friend of mine had asked me about ‘good’ and ‘bad’ insects in a garden, on which I wrote an article. In that, I had mentioned a kind of grasshopper called the ‘Locust’. It is a bright yellowish green insect. It is sometimes seen in our garden. They create havoc if found in swarms, but one or two do not harm much.   After writing the article, I wished I had a photo of the Locust. Digging it out from the archives could add colour but that would have been time consuming.   Having posted the article, I walked out of the house to check on the blooms of the day. There was a large variety with vibrant colours gracing the garden. A treat to the eyes and soul.   Just then my eyes fell on a bamboo stick supporting a vi

ALTERNATE SOURCE OF ENERGY

  ALTERNATE SOURCE OF ENERGY   LT COL NOEL ELLIS   25/IX/2024   Solar Energy fascinated me since childhood. It was unbelievable at first that electricity could be produced from the sun. It took me back to my school days, when we were introduced to ‘photoelectric cells’ and how they work and how will it be beneficial to the earth and society.   Water energy we had witnessed first hand during a school educational tour to the Bhakra Nangal Dam in Punjab.   Harnessing wind energy was also interesting. This we practically experienced during a bike hike to Lonavala from NDA Khadakwasla, Pune. We were tired, exhausted, and still short of our destination and still pedaling our way up those steep curves of the Ghat. Suddenly, it started to rain and the wind too joined the fun.   We quickly pulled out our ‘raincapes’ to avoid getting wet. Cycling with a raincoat on is a big pain but then something happened. The storm pushed us from behind and the raincoat became our sail. Raindrops hid our sweat

OP CHRYSANTHEMUM

  OP CHRYSANTHEMUM   LT COL NOEL ELLIS   07/X/2024   While in the Army, one had heard of various operations named after flowers like OPERATION-CACTUS LILY, 1971, Indo-Pak War. 2003, OP-Desert Rose, Iraq, by US. 1944, OP-Daffodil, allied forces in France. OP-Tulip, a German operation in the Netherlands, etc.   To carry out any operation, one has to do meticulous planning. As the saying goes, if you plan well, you can execute it well.   My story is not a military operation, but being a military man, even small things are planned in a military manner by nature. Thus, the methodology is quite akin.   Operations start with fixing the ‘AIM’. ‘Terms of reference’ (TOR) are considered next. That is the various hurdles, stipulations of time, resources, finances, logistics, reserves and what have you. Then comes the execution and planning of that plan in detail. Finally, you reach a ‘course of action’ for execution of your plan, including contingencies. To achieve that aim, this is how we did it