MEDITATION

 MEDITATION

 

LT COL NOEL ELLIS

 

03/VII/2023

 

People say meditation is good for your system. This thought lingered in my mind during my morning walk. It was not about the purpose of this ‘ten letter word’ but the method of how one should meditate.

 

Closed doors, silence, fragrant aromas, chants, hymns, closed eyes, slow & steady breathing, cleansing your mind of all unwanted thoughts, concentrating on something that you can focus on, your pose and poise all count towards meditation. This is what one has and heard from preachers of this subject.

 

My way of purifying my mind differs, so here goes.

 

My way of meditating is walking into nature. Listening, smelling, hearing, touching, feeling, observing, thinking and even at times chasing a few things. No, not what you are thinking, but it could be a thought, a bird zipping past or even an insect collecting food and going back home.

 

As I walked past my house, a Bulbul greeted me with a loud good morning. I wished her back and promised to feed her something on my return. She chirped back as if to say I am waiting. A little ahead, a dove sat on the lamp post silently. As I approached her, she started to coo me good morning.

 

Hello! I said. Coo-coo, she replied. Further ahead, Blackie the Sunbird hovered over a yellow flower. What contrasting colours! The sight was so soothing and refreshed my eyes. It was like meditating with my eyes open. Having siphoned out some nectar, she too wished me with her lovely call.

 

At the security gate two guards stood up from their seats with folded hands and said namaste sir. They needed to be encouraged. With a namaste, I said shabash, “accha kaam kar rahe ho”. They broke into a smile. Within me my soul felt good, outside, I made someone’s day.

 

As I picked up pace, my breathing increased. I remembered a Babaji who teaches to breathe in and out from deep within. Twenty breaths and my chest was empty and filled again with the fresh morning air. Aromas of Madhu Malti, Har Singaar, Raat ki rani etc filled my lungs. It was more than the conventional way of meditation for me.

 

The main gate was not far away. On a Peepal tree, astride the gate a pair of Koels broke into their call. As I approached the trees, their calls got louder & shriller. It appeared as to how Army buglers time their calls when a VIP approaches the saluting dais. As I reached the last step to turn back, at that very moment their call terminated. What precession in timing I must say. I waved to the cuckoos to thank them for taking me back to the army days. Mind slipped back to nostalgia but was refreshed.

 

Morning walkers were now out. Some with their dogs, some alone, and some with their better halves. Some were with school going children on their way to their bus stop. Surprisingly, not one was smiling. Most of them had groggy eyes and sullen faces, as if waiting for that ‘ritual’ to get over.

 

A loud good morning kind of shook them out of their slumber. Reluctantly, only a few reciprocated. The birds were any day better than humans. I drained that dirty thought and left it at the gate itself.

 

It was now time to go towards the river. With the buglers having blown their call, it was time to inspect a parade. The Peacock parade to be precise. At the call of their leader, they marched in style, saluting yours truly till they disappeared behind a bund.

 

It was time to return home, when I heard a familiar screechy good morning. Mr Parakeet sat high above on a dry branch, like we used to climb the mast at the quarter deck during the NDA passing out parade. I wished him but was curious to know where his tail had gone. We are shedding these days, he said. It is time to grow new feathers before the rains. Well, meet you then dear mittho and I moved on.

 

Suddenly, there was a flutter above me. A pack of pigeons flew past. Their wings tearing the calm and silent morning air. It was again like the final flypast by fighter aircrafts, who come in formation and bless the passing out course in NDA taking the final step with a deafening roar. 

 

I remembered that my fish would be waiting to be fed. A spoonful of fish food was sprinkled and they attacked it like NDA cadets attack tipsy pudding. I broke into a smile ending my meditation.

 

Can this routine also be a form of meditation? I wonder!!!!!!!!!

 

JAI HIND

© ® NOEL ELLIS






Comments

  1. Outstanding work. Enjoyed your article. Best wishes. Best Wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding work. Enjoyed your article. Best wishes. Best Wishes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LOCUST WITHOUT A “L”

ALTERNATE SOURCE OF ENERGY

FLOATING WATER PLANTS