BIRD ON THE WATER BOWL

 BIRD ON THE WATER BOWL

 

LT COL NOEL ELLIS

 

20/IX/2024

 

The day was coming to an end however, the sun was still bright and preparing to go down beyond the horizon and into the clouds. With enough light left for the day, it was time to feed our fish on the roof.

 

These girls wait for me. Once they see me, all of them congregate on the surface asking me not to delay anymore. They know how to say it when they circle the surface at a brisk pace. Their turns become sharp. They do not dive in deep and start skimming the surface of the water with their mouths open, in anticipation of food.

 

Even if the fish are in the hiding, they come and greet me. I feel, they wait for me like kids do for their parents. One pinch of fish food and they churn the water vehemently and excitedly.

 

For a change I was on the roof before sundown. Birds had started to fly home. A pair of herons flew due west overhead into the setting sun, towards the river close by.  I wished them fair winds, as I fed the fish.

 

Be that as it may. After feeding the fish, I met another bird sipping water from the Water Lily tub.

 

These days, I carry my camera, just in case one gets a fleeting chance to get a shot. Light was fading fast.

 

Just then a red bottom Bulbul, also called the ‘Red Vented Bulbul’ came and sat on top of me on the ledge of the roof. She tweeted and chirped as if asking me permission for something. I looked at her and she kept staring at me without any fear. Did she know me? I asked myself.

 

In the morning, she is the one who raises the alarm when I bring roti to the veranda. As I break it into small pieces, she only raises an alarm to alert the rest of her gang to congregate at the roti point. This I could make out because she is the one which doesn’t get scared by my presence. She hops around with me as I sprinkle water on the pots. Insects flee and she catches them for breakfast.

 

Sometimes, while breaking roti, people stop to chat. Moment, I leave my chair to walk to the road side, this girl digs into the plate and picks up morsels. Now I know she is the same one.

 

Generally, Bulbuls visit the rooftop garden in search of insects and bugs which hide or sit around the tubs. The birds meander through the tubs hopping and skipping around those little places where the insects take refuge. Moment any insect discloses its location, it is eaten.

 

I waved my hand to her to show her I had fish food in my hand. That did not interest her. I stepped back a little to see what she is up to. In a blink of an eye, before I could even remove the lens cap of the camera, Bulbul ji was sitting on the berm of the same tub where Dovey enjoyed a drink yesterday.

 

Three quick sips and off she flew into the trees in the lane behind our house. It was time for me to move down too.

 

For a sip of water and maybe a dip, they keep the roof free from insects and bugs. I need to be grateful to them for their free services. Fish too are happy with the winged company.

 

Which bird will I see next on top of  the water bowl? I wonder!!!!!!

 

🇮🇳 JAI HIND 🇮🇳

©® NOEL ELLIS








Comments

  1. You must be very popular in their community😃 Beautiful pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you bro, it is my privilege that they accept me

      Delete
  2. Highly appreciate the way you describe these little creatures

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LOCUST WITHOUT A “L”

ALTERNATE SOURCE OF ENERGY

FLOATING WATER PLANTS