SCENE AT THE RAILWAY PLATFORM

 SCENE AT THE RAILWAY PLATFORM

 

LT COL NOEL ELLIS

01/VIII/2024

 

It was after ages we travelled by train. The excitement remained the same like the good old days. Scene at the station has changed but the routine still remains unchanged.

There was ‘Chotu’ running from bogie to bogie calling ‘Chai-Gare-Chai’. Instead of the old spouted aluminum kettles, he carried a thermos flask. The fruit vendors and puri sabji hand carts were still there. Instead of people running for taps, one just waited to hear, ‘thande pani ki bottal’. The book stall from where we picked up so many magazines and novels had vanished.

Most of the trains are now AC. Vendors have lost a lot of business. Now they congregate near the sleeper and general class coaches. These days there are about 14-15 AC coaches per train.

There is a continuous supply of food and beverages inside as ‘railway catering services’ have taken over. I heard them announcing ‘badia chai ki guarantee’. I liked the way they added the word of assurance. We wanted to taste this ‘chai with a promise’. Our expectations fell flat. It was lukewarm, very sweet and tasted like the good old ‘station ki chai’. Twenty rupees for a chai….

As it is customary in our family, like my dad used to take me to show the engine, now my daughter accompanies me. Our train was being pulled by a diesel engine. We took a photograph under the railway station board. Above Mean Sea Level (MSL) is still painted there, except that the station board is painted in cream colour instead of the traditional yellow.

Wheels on suitcases have taken away the coolies job. Now there are a few and far between. Their brass badges still remain with their red jackets. We too pushed our luggage.

What didn’t change was the metal luggage hand carts. There were two ladies fast asleep like sleeping on a five-star hotel bed. There were numerous people sleeping on the floor as usual. The problem they were creating was for the vacuum cleaning machine which was doing its rounds. The driver kept honking but it fell on deaf years. Poor chap meandered his way saving their outstretched legs even inviting a cuss word or two.

There were no reservation charts displayed nor were they stuck to the sides next to the toilets. Toilets too were different but the cleanliness was lacking. The odour of urine just doesn’t go. The TT had a tab, instead of bundles of charts. One check and then we didn’t see him at all.

On our return journey, I was a little taken aback. Our railway stations are not friendly to specially abled citizens. Let me narrate a small incident.

We were about to take a lift, which was another change on the platforms, when I saw a blind man asking for directions and help. So many people passed by but none offered to understand what his requirement was . My family was a little away, so I asked him, how could I be of help.

This poor man had some work in the court. He was travelling unreserved and had missed many trains at Jaipur. People didn’t let him board and if he tried to mount, he was pushed away. The work which he could have done at the court this morning would now spill over to the next day otherwise he could have returned the same day. I felt so bad for him as he lost the whole day.

A thin lean fellow, with guts of steel, despite his special abilities, he didn’t lose heart and continued on his sojourn. I could see and feel his frustration because he didn’t know how to get out and from which side of the station. There was no guide or announcements.

‘Kahan jana hai aap ko’. ‘Bahar’, he said. He was facing the stairs and was about to get down the flight of stairs using his stick. I told him to turn around and walk towards my voice. Now he was at ease. When we got down, I told him to keep his hand on my shoulder as we walked towards the exit.

He told me his whole story and frustration with no help he received anywhere. ‘Aap mujhe ek auto wale se mila do’, ‘then I will go to a hostel to stay’. While dragging my suitcase, I kept the conversation on with him till we reached the auto stand. He thanked me like hell. Once he engaged the auto, we proceeded home. The least we could have done.

Now that the railways are improving at a fast pace, we need to have a robust mechanism for such people. Would he have finished his work and returned home today? I wonder!!!!!!!

 

JAI HIND

© ® NOEL ELLIS





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOCUST WITHOUT A “L”

ALTERNATE SOURCE OF ENERGY

FLOATING WATER PLANTS