CAMERA SETTINGS

 CAMERA SETTINGS

 

LT COL NOEL ELLIS

 

13/VI/2023

 

Last couple of days one is trying to photograph birds, insects, and flowers in and around our garden. Frankly, one tried to go into ‘manual mode’ of the camera settings, but to get a correct balance between ISO, Shutter Speed and Focal length takes time to get used to. You tweak one setting, the other goes wonky. It becomes frustrating if you miss those lovely moments.

 

Moreover, the breeze in the morning ‘shakes’ the flora. Birds are so swift & agile that before you think of changing the settings, they go furrrrrrrrrr. The fleeting moments that one gets are few and far between. So, I let the camera do the thinking. After all, we all used a calculator to calculate, so why not let the computer inside the camera decide what setting for what situation is the best.

 

If all goes well and you are about to take a perfect shot, it is the ‘hand shake’ which spoils the fun. This hand shake is not the traditional one as we know but even a slight shiver of your hand can ruin the quality of the picture from clear to blurred.

 

Even in ‘auto’ mode things go wrong. Once the camera starts focusing on things, it is difficult to tell the camera that there is a bird on the branch which one wants to shoot and not the branch. Sometimes it gets ‘infatuated’ with leaves and misses the flowers. Birds don’t wait to pose for you. Moment, they sense danger, a partner or food, they fly off or move to a different perch.

 

Overall, to get a perfect picture is not easy. Sometimes the light is fading or is too bright. On other times, the sun is in your eyes thus in the lens of the camera. A bird which is posing perfectly for you becomes a ‘black object’ instead, due to the lighting conditions. Yours truly still clicks them, just in case a miracle happens.

 

To get over the “shake” one bought a tripod. Believe you me, it is not easy to carry around. For short distances it is fine but if one has to shift positions and location, it is like running BPET with a proper ‘Pitthu’. Nevertheless, one has to, if one wants perfect shots.

 

There is a well trimmed bush about my height in the garden infront of our house. One does take ‘aar’ behind it, lest the birds get startled. I found a pair of red bummed Bulbuls getting a little agitated with my presence. The two of them took positions on the nearest trees but in opposite directions and were continuously chattering amongst themselves. One could sense that they are uncomfortable but what exactly it was, was not clear. They generally chatter that way when strays are close by.

 

Today, I spread the branches of that bush. Lo and behold there was a small nest inside. That was the reason for the Bulbuls to get restless. I immediately changed my position so that they could continue with their nestling. Had I known it earlier, I would have avoided that bush. After all, I care.

 

In the meantime I saw a ball of fluff on the ‘walking track’ rolling towards me. Initially, I thought it was a bundle of dirty cotton. As it came closer, I realised that it was a squirrel preparing to make a very comfortable nest for the season.

 

Not afraid, she almost went past me when she realised that there was a man standing there. She couldn’t have shed the bundle nor could she have changed her path, as she was partially blinded with what she was carrying in her mouth which was as big as her. Still, she did not leave her prized possession.

 

I was about to take a picture of a sunbird, but sensing the discomfort of this little ‘mama’ squirrel, one had to up stick the whole set up and let her pass. After all, she was meeting a Gentleman for the first time. All yours, I said to her, and she squeaked back, as if to say thank you.

 

Chance encounters keep happening. With wild life, one has to be quick, sharp, observant, a good listener, alert, attentive, aware and above all focused. For this, I find ‘auto focusing’ the best option. The percentage of getting quality pictures increases. Should I tweak the camera settings to manual? I wonder!!!!!!!!

 

JAI HIND

© ® NOEL ELLIS







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOSS OF LIFE IS UNEXCEPTABLE