JEEPS & JONGAS


JEEPS & JONGAS


 LT COL NOEL ELLIS

 

01/VI/2023

 

As I walk around my colony, it is surprising to see the old ‘work horses’ of the Indian Army, gathering dust and rust in many garages. They would have bought them from Army auctions and got them spruced up.

 

My first transport to the unit from Jaisalmer railway station (my maiden posting after commissioning) was in a Jeep. My co-passengers were LNk Ashwini, the driver with blue eyes, Nb Sub Jai Singh, who was a ‘chimney’ chugging out Biri smoke like a steam engine and another NCO.

 

 Besides, there were two black Army trunks. One was mine and another one had cipher documents. One holdall, a suitcase and an airbag which were my personal luggage. Still there was enough space to fit in one more guy in that over cramped jeep. Jai Singh Saab took the wheel, I sat in the middle and Ashwini hung in thin air outside the co-drivers seat. The NCO behind did the most difficult yoga asan and settled down inside.

 

Those days 2Lts were errand masters. A Jeep was a ‘royal ride’. You rang up the MT and down came a jeep whistling to get a pin or rasmalai. Jongas were spacious but few and far between.

 

There were certain privileged people. The CO and the Company Commanders. They had their “personal Jeeps/Jongas”. Our CO had a ‘Dabba Jeep’, it was called by that name only. A jeep with a tin welded by the LRW. A six-foot seven driver called Nachattar and four feet broad CO. Nachattar’s legs could never fit in and how did the ‘Gaon Bura’ fit in was a mystery in itself.

 

As a ‘one pipper’, a 1ton/ 3 ton or a DR was the mode of transport. Imagine, roaming the narrow roads of Jaisalmer on those. Once we took a 1 ton atop the ‘Sonar Kella’, literally breaking all barriers.

 

That 1 ton was being driven by my very dear brother officer, who thought it was a jeep, with me and Karimullah the driver in the rear. CO being a ‘good chap’ had scotch flowing on his promotion to full Colonel like water flowing in a river. We had almost drowned in that river that night.

 

Still learning to drive a jeep, yours truly was once detailed as LO to the GOC of the Battle Axe Division. He was with his family. They were our honoured guests, so CO sent his No 1 ‘open jeep’.

 

While the General and his wife sat in their Black Amby Staff Car to enjoy sunset at ‘Sam sand dunes’, His girls were in a mood for fun. The ADC took the wheel of the Jonga. The girls jumped out of the Jonga and mounted the open jeep, as I had to lead the way.

 

Noel, you drive and let’s race. Adrenal was as it is pumping with two young girls sitting with this 21-year-old. Noel actually didn’t know how to drive, except the TMBs (Tata Mercedes Benz Trucks) he was introduced to in IMA Dehradun.

 

Oh Boy! Noel took the challenge. Nachattar didn’t utter a word, though there were tacit orders that no one could even touch COs vehicle. ‘Pichhe bai ja’ . I ordered Nachattar. One girl sat next to me. Noel was now ready to take off in his newly acquired ‘Concorde’.

 

That outing was a hit. While returning, my foot was on the ‘Killi’ (accelerator). My nightmare was to drive in through the MES IB gate and park in the narrow porch. I missed it and unloaded the passengers in the flower bed. Nachattar had his eyes closed both ways and I heard him reciting jap ji saab.

 

All of us had a hearty laugh, while the guard gave a ‘General Salute’ to the GOC. The General remarked, how thoughtful of you Noel, you made way for the staff car. I smiled ear to ear.

 

Those days we used to watch the villagers driving jongas on desert tracks with almost twenty people, a few bicycles, huge milk containers hanging from its sides, even goats and sheep, all hanging on to dear life negotiating the sand, as if sailing on water. That was motivation for me to climb every sand dune which came my way and have done it.

 

Later, gypsies were introduced. Being the junior most company commander, my stallion was always a Jonga. An ‘open Jonga’ to be precise. The front windshield would be kept down, come rain, hail, or dust storm.

 

A point 22 rifle, a fishing net, a driver and a Int NCO used to be my crew and equipment. Exercises and deployment on the border meant two things. Professional work first, followed by tittar and machhi on the table.

 

Jeeps had been fazed out by then, Jongas were on their way out, Gypsies had become the mainstay. Every time I see these Jeeps & Jongas now, I go down memory lane. Why do people still love them? I wonder!!!!!!!!!!

 

JAI HIND

© ® NOEL ELLIS





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOSS OF LIFE IS UNEXCEPTABLE